VIRTUAL SCHOOL GRADES 6-12
DEC 1, 2021
Dear Families and Students,
On Monday, December 6th, Taylor County Schools is opening registration for virtual students in grades 6-12 only for the second semester. We will not have an option for grades K-5 this year as a state level curriculum is not offered and our teachers are needed in our classrooms for face to face instruction. As last year, rules have been established for participation. Please review these carefully before completing the form registering your student for participation. The health and safety of all students and staff remains our number one priority.
1. West Virginia Virtual School is the platform we will use.
2. Students with IEPs will be offered virtual school using a different platform to support IEP learning goals and success.
3. Registration opens Monday, December 6, 2021, closing Friday, December 17, 2021 for the second semester.
4. February 2, 2021 is the date that we will use as a cutoff and return to face to face instruction if a student or their family finds they are not successful in virtual school in the first semester.
5. Students previously enrolled in virtual school can re-enroll if they passed 3 out of 4 classes last year or during the first semester of the current year.
6. Taylor County Middle School students will be offered four core classes and Art the second semester.
7. GHS students will be offered four core classes and two electives from the GHS virtual schools course catalog.
9. Criteria to remain in virtual school:
GHS - At the end of the fourth 6 weeks you must have 33% of all courses completed
TCMS - At the end of the third 9 weeks you have 50% of all courses completed
Students not meeting this criterion will be removed and enrolled for face to face instruction.
10. Certified warning letters will be sent to the homes of students who may be dropped at the end of the first semester if improvement does not occur the week of November 29, 2021.
11. Certified letters will be sent to the homes of students not eligible to participate the second semester January 3, 2022. Students who have had issues with completion and performance will those that receive these letters.
To register (starting Monday, December 6th), please use the following link:
Taylor County Schools remains committed to the health and safety of our students and staff.
Christy Miller, Superintendent